Review the job description below and then complete this application.
Sales & Shoe Fitting Professional
What is the job, in a nutshell? Love & serve our community by hosting outstanding experiences for our guests. Ensure that their Mast Shoes visit is friendly, successful, efficient, easy, and positive. Build customer loyalty by ensuring that every shoe Mast Shoes sells fits well and feels good. Bring positive energy, hustle, and kindness to your customers, your coworkers, and yourself every shift. And of course, sell a lot of shoes!
What skills & characteristics do I need?
- Enjoys welcoming & interacting with many people each day
- Dependable, prompt, and reliable. A strong attendance record required
- Confidence in presenting and selling
- Stays calm under pressure; stamina, patience, & positive attitude
- Ability to maintain enthusiasm & energy in a fast-paced, sometimes loud, environment
- Can smoothly & confidently guide guests through the shopping & fitting experience
- Outstanding cleanliness & sanitation habits (both personal and place)
- Daily actions demonstrate teamwork, cooperation, and professionalism
- Excellent verbal communication
- Conveys enthusiasm & welcome & kindness
- Is comfortable around feet, used shoes, and people with physical challenges
- Adaptable in navigating necessary covid safety practices
Able to work safely:
-in close proximity with other people (face masks are optional)
-work on feet for 8 hours
-walk, bend, reach
-lift 5 - 10 lbs throughout the shift (1-3 shoe boxes at a time)
-go up and down stairs and occasional ladders safely
-put shoes on people’s feet
What Are My Responsibilities?
On-shift tasks will include
- Guide guests through the fitting process
- Use the Mast Shoes 7-step shoe fitting & selling process
- Proactively work on our customer's behalf to match them with shoes that fit well and feel great
- Create a warm, welcoming, positive, friendly place to work and shop
- During slower times, "prep" the sales floor (pick up, clean, tidy displays, assist with stock work)
- Operate the cash register; ring up sales, process credit cards, refunds
- Participate and engage in team meetings
What else is expected of me?
- take full responsibility for your training
- project productive, positive energy throughout each shift
- actively participate and bring value to team meetings
- communicate pro-actively with your managers & co-workers
- practice excellent workplace safety & etiquette
- give & receive feedback graciously (assume good intent)
- maintain a neat, tidy personal appearance in line with the dress code
- follow all workplace covid safety procedures and adapt quickly when they change
- take ownership of your actions, experience, and growth!
What will my schedule be?
- A Full-Time schedule is Tuesday - Saturday 9:30 - 6 (40 hours/week).
- A sample Part-Time schedule is Tuesday: 9:30 - 3, Thursday 9:30 - 6, Saturday 9:30-6 (23 hours/week), more hours if wanted. The Saturday 9:30-6 shift is required.
- You'll have Sundays and Mondays off every week.
- Mast Shoes closes for two weeks each year (usually the first week of January and the week of July 4). Upon hire you'll paid your full rate during store closures.
- We are busiest during the following months: April, May, June, September, October, November, and December. Everyone is needed during these months and time off is not permitted during these peak times. As mentioned above, we close the store the first week of January and the week of July 4th so staff can enjoy time off. Additional time off is approved in January, February, early March, July, August, and early September (pending schedule availability).
How will I be compensated?
With no previous shoe store experience, the starting rate is $17 per hour with a wage increase at 90 days if on track with performance and training.
There are monthly bonuses of $0 - $300 per staff member based on making team sales goals. We usually achieve our top sales goal of $300 6 months of the year, slower months are usually in the $50 - $200 range.
There is a year-end bonus based on meeting the yearly team sales goal.
- Full time employees start with 80 hours of paid time off. Part time employees start with 46 hours of paid time off (or the number of hours regularly worked in a two week period). This paid time off is used during store closures (one week in January and one week in July). More time off is earned the longer you're employed at Mast Shoes.
- Optional health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is available to all employees after 90 days.
- Retirement Plan that has a 3% employer match is available to all employees.
- Consistent, reliable hours
- 2 days off in a row every week (Sunday & Monday)
- Guaranteed paid vacation time upon hire during store closures (one week in January and one week in July)
- Great work/life balance; no work to take home, no late shifts
- Non-commission, team-focused, supportive sales environment
- 40% off employee discount on shoes for yourself anytime
- Free shoes (usually 2-3 times a year)
- Occasional cash rewards from suppliers
- Frequent snacks & treats, occasional lunches
- Ann Arbor District Library card and access (if you live outside of Ann Arbor and don't already have access)
Who SHOULD apply?
This job might be a GREAT fit for you if...
- making guests feel like they were the best part of your day
- LOVE learning about people’s activities, challenges & preferences in order to match them with shoes that will serve them well
- you enjoy learning how to improve and welcome feedback
- busy days and lots of people energize you
- you notice & take action on details like shoes on the floor, displays out of order, etc
- you eagerly find productive things to do during downtime
- you are looking to be challenged and develop new skills
- you enjoy selling high-quality products that will directly benefit your customers
You probably won't be happy in this position if...
- a lot of people easily overwhelm you
- you don’t like sales (and/or don’t want to get good at it)
- you get easily frustrated/annoyed working with the public
- learning details about products & processes sounds boring
- smiling for hours wears you out
- bending, lifting, and walking briskly throughout a shift sounds exhausting
- you're looking for a short-term/temporary job (less than a year)
Can you see yourself working with us?
A peek behind the scenes: